Sunday, October 22, 2006

Today was Formula 1 Sunday

I confess - I didn't resist. I had for a long time lost my interest in Formula 1 and didn't follow any of the last two seasons. But being Brazilian, and being in Brazil at the time of a race like the one we had today, I once again surrendered to this national passion, second only to soccer. When I was in São Paulo last week, where the race was to take place, I was astonished to see the words 'O Duelo Final' (A Final Duel) overlaid on 15ft high billboards, with the heads of Alonso and Schumacher, spread all over town.

Yes, Formula 1 is a big Brazilian passion and I grew up seeing my brothers wake up early on Sunday mornings to watch the races, no matter how late they had partied the night before. It was fun to be there, although I would usually fall back asleep after the best part: the starting lap.

And just so it happens that the Interlagos race is the one that closes the championship. And that it was Michael Schumacher's last race before retiring from being the best F1 racer in history. And that Felipe Massa had the pole position and it's been 13 years since a Brazilian won a race at home, when the late Ayrton Senna won in 1993. It was all over the news and it was the number one subject at bar tables across the country (giving presidential elections a rest, even though we are a week away from the second round).

All of that seemed like enough reason to just get over it and watch the race - and I am glad I did. Felipe Massa won the race gracefully. I confess I got a little emotional watching the crowds go wild. I even confess I was cheering for Schumacher, after he blew a tire and had to stop, coming back at the last position. He worked his way up to 4th position, and it was spectacular. So yes, I did cheer for him although he is not exactly a nice guy. Personal issues aside, I admired his ability to find the right moment to end his racing career. Only a wise man knows when it's the right time to let go of a passion, of something he is really good at, and move on to new projects.

I wrapped up my 'sporty' afternoon watching my soccer team play on TV for the Campeonato Brasileiro. We are doing well this year and still hold a change to make it to Libertadores da América. It sure does feel good to be back home in days like this... :)

(a lilttle irony I could not keep myself from mentioning... for those who think sporty people don't 'waste time' on the Internet, I found out Felipe Massa has a blog, a really cool one, in the Ferrari website)

No comments: