Wednesday, May 10, 2006

First night out - April 8th, 2006

FYI: I wrote this a month ago, in a moment of strong cultural shock, take it with a grain of salt.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is Saturday and I just arrived in Campinas to stay with my mother for a couple of weeks. Campinas is the town where I used to live and I used to like it here, but now I look at it and can't seem to remember what I liked about it. I guess it is very different when you are in college, living on your own for the first time. University of Campinas was a great environment and I had the time of my life. But now, contemplating the city life outside the University circle, it does not look appealing. In the evening I went to a bar with my mom and a good friend of hers who I really like and had not seen in 2 years, so we wanted to get together.
My gosh, the "bar" scene. Scares the shit out of me the thought of ever being single here, and to have to try the 'dating life'. People look shallow and uninteresting. Everyone around me does. I know I am being judgemental. I always used to say I find it hard to imagine being with someone who is outside of Science or Academia. And that I wanted a boyfriend with a PhD :)

Look around... hmmm... this is NOT my place. Gosh, all of a sudden the geek scene in Ithaca don't look so bad anymore. On the contrary, I feel like I deeply identify with it, although I used to complain a lot.

We always want to be somewhere other than where we are, and that is just stupid.

No comments: