Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Brazil 1 x 0 Croatia

Yes, I admit - we all expected more. But to me, that is many times the problem with Brazil when it comes to soccer: everyone here thinks we're already in the finals, and that the boys did no more than their obligation to win the first game, and that they should have scored more goals. We are spoiled! Don't get me wrong, I don't know BS about soccer, but I do know a lot about high expectations...
Since my arrival back in late March they've been talking about the World Cup in the news. It bothered me. As we got closer to the Cup, it got worse - all we care about is soccer!!?? What about politics, violence, elections, poverty... this unconditional blind love for soccer used to bother me then, and still bothered me now. But when the games begin... there's no use trying to resist - it's contagious!! World Cup is a lot of fun, and Brazil is the second best place on Earth to enjoy it. Better than this, only if I was walking the streets in Germany and being part of that amazing cultural mix.
Nothing like being in Brazil during the World Cup, especially being Brazilian, I'll tell you that.

This is me watching the game with "the girls".

No comments: